Wednesday 7 January 2009

BILBO, ATTRACTIVE ISN'T IT ?

My hometown is Bilbao but it can be called Bilbo, its name in Basque. I was born in a small neighborhood, Deusto, which is very near from the centre of the city. I really like the combination of the large beaches and mountains that we can find in the whole of the Basque Country. It's not planing to leave Bilbao but it might happen if I have to study in a foreign university.

I hope my words will attract you to continue reading my article because I am sure you will love it !




Bilbao was founded as a village by Don Diego Lopez de Haro V, Lord of Biscay, on 15 June 1300. Don Diego gave the city privileges and some lands that it can expand. At first there were only three streets. The city grew slowly until another four streets were built, known as "Seven Streets". As all the villages of that period of time, Bilbao was built around a church, the Santiago church, protected by a city wall. The seven streets and the church are considered the Old Bilbao and it is visited by many tourists every year.






Another places which are popular on tourist in Bilbao are the Guggenheim museum and the University of Deusto which is a quite prestigious university. Both are built alongside the Nervion river, one almost in front of the other. The university was built in 1886. In 1962, it was very well known in the Basque Country and also in the whole of Spain. The museum was opened to the public in 1997. It could be considered as the most visited building in Bilbao.














And finally, I would like to tell you about Basque culture. In my opinion traditional food and festivals are the best thing about Bilbao. They aren't as well known as the museum or the university but they are really interesting too.
Talking about food, I would recommend to you typical "pintxos" you can buy in any bar and cod "a la bizcaína".
























I really love Bilbao and its surroundings and I hope you've liked it and you will come some day. I recommend to you coming the third week of August when the major festival is celebrated!
Bye and thanks !

1 comment:

Vasudeva Siruguri said...

Hi from India. I liked your blog. I agree with you that Bilbao is a very beautiful city. I was at the UPV/EHU for an year in 2005 and liked my stay very much.