Wednesday 7 January 2009

Oñati

I'm going to write about an special place for me, Oñati, as it is the village where I was born and where part of my family lives.
Oñati is a village in Guipuzcoa, which lies about 40 km south of the Bay of Biscay and it is about 236 m above sea level. Its name in Basque means roughly "place of many hills" and that's because it's surrounded by a chain of mountains named Aloña. As we can see in the next picture, its landscape is breath-taking.


Walking through its mountains you'll feel in the middle of the nature. Its pure air and the huge forests surrounding you will help you to feel close to anyone there. Therefore, it's perfect for a relaxing family day!!

It's also really worth seeing the Sanctuary of Arantzazu which is famous for its pilgrimage to the Church of Our Lady.


In the centre town you can also enjoy your visit and have a cultural knowledge while you spend your day visiting its beautiful monuments, such as the University (the first in The Basque Country) and the Church, both related to the Medieval Period.

Nowadays this University isn't used. Nevertheless, if you're interested in economics, you can find there an important University to study, ETEO.

As a town, its atmosphere is really friendly. Everyone shows kind to the visitors. In addition to this, the village offers you the chance to have an incredible party night. In fact, it's well-known for its good party atmosphere. I'm sure you'll meet a lot of people and never forget this day!!!



As a child, I lived there until I was about two, when my parents decided to move to Bilbao. I used to have a great time playing in the square with my cousins and some friends and I'll never forget it. Although I don't live there now, I still go there almost every weekend because I love its atmosphere and I got family and friends now.

Finally, I would like to encourage anyone who reads this text to visit Oñati. I'm sure you´ll not regret it!!

1 comment:

Leanne said...

Hey,

I think i will be moving to Onati in March for 6 months, but I really dont know anything about it. I tried to find your email address so I could email this message to you, but I couldnt find it. If possible, can you please email me at leannerararas@hotmail.com as it would be great to talk to someone about the area of Onati and what its really like! Thank you so much, Leanne P.S hablo espanol tambien si no entiendes mi mensaje